1. Croyland, 'Continuation', p. 440.
2. Following Dr. Richard Fitzjames, successively Bishop of Rochester, Chichester, and London (Cooper, p. 75).
3. Hist. MSS. Com., Report IV, p. 192 (Westminster Abbey MSS.)
4. Cooper, pp. 66, 67; Lodge, p. 5.
5. 28th January (St. Agnes the second); cf. Cooper, op. cit., p. 10, note.
6. Cooper, p. 64; and Ellis's Letters, 1st series, i. 46. I have, after some hesitation, modernized the spelling of these letters. This one begins 'My owne suet and most deere kynge', and ends 'your feythfull trewe bedwoman and humble modyr'.