1. Campbell, Materials, ii. 274; and cf. Rymer, Foedera, xii.

2. The accounts of James Moryce, Clerk of the Works to the Countess of Richmond, for work done at Collyweston, are preserved in the Archives of St. John's College, Cambridge, and are mentioned in the Historical MSS. Commission, First Report, p. 75
Bridges, Hist. of Northants (1791), vol. ii, p. 433, says: 'Here was an old Palace finished and enlarged by Margaret Countess of Richmond, when she was possessed of this lordship'. He quotes from Leland: 'Colyweston for the most part is of a new building by the Ly Margaret. The Ld Cromwelle had afore begun a house here and as some say was first begun by a gentleman . . . and that the Ld Crumwelle augmented it and that the Ly Margaret aumented it.' The house had disappeared when Bridges wrote. Collyweston is still known for its slates.

3. Cooper, pp. 199 and 226.

4. A list (preserved in the Treasury of St. John's College, Cambridge) of the plate, books, vestments, &c., bequeathed by Lady Margaret to Christ's College, is printed in the Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, vol. ix, 1899 (Mr. A. F. Scott, M.A., Master of St. John's College).

5. Cooper, Appendix, pp. 129-35. Extracts from Lady Margaret's will.

6. Ibid., pp. 178-229. Accounts of Lady Margaret's Executors.

7. Anthony Wood, Hist. and Antiquities of Oxford, i. 655, and Cooper, pp. 52, 53.

8. Cooper, Appendix, p. 229 (Ex Archivis Civ. Coventr.), 30th Sept. The year is not given.

9. Paston Letters, iii. 392, and Appendix, p. 469, Gairdner's ed. 'By the Kinges Moder'; 'At our mannor of Colly Weston'.

10. Cooper, pp. 55, 96, 108; Churton, Lives of Smyth and Sutton, pp. 12, 13, 34-6, 44.

11. The 'Priory of St. Peter and St. Paule Breune' at Bourn, Lincs.; the 'Monastery of Hawtemprice, York' and 'St. Wenefrede's Well, in Flintshire' (Cooper, pp. 56, 220, and 223).

12. The brethren and sisters agreed to assemble after evensong on the Eve of St. Katherine, in their Hall at 'Seynt Poules in Staunford', and 'drynke and there have a curteys communycacion for the weele of the seid gilde' (Cooper, p. 86, note).